Saturday 25 July 2015

Carl's Jr.: Bienvenue au Canada - Toonie Tuesday - Shake, shake, shake Pt.1

WE'VE MOVED TO WORDPRESS
All of the posts are now on going to be on WORDPRESS! This blog will be deleted in a couple of weeks be sure to follow the new Broke and Picky! - brokeandpicky.wordpress.com

The United States of America is an incredibly special place when it comes to food.

Fast food in particular.

I'm not even talking about the fast food restaurants that's already present in Canada like the Wendy's, Burger Kings and McDonalds.

I'm talking about the ones you can only see through commericals. My personal favourite American restaurant legend is Checkers. Wow. I just Googled "Checkers" and the first thing that came up wasn't the game, it was the restaurant. God bless America people! Anyway Checkers has this one fish burger that has  double the flakey filet. Lord help me. I gotta hit up the states soon.

'Murican companies like to come over to Canada and see if Canadians can be  big shoppers like the Americans are. This can go over well with places like McDonalds, KFC and 1000s of others stores and restaurants OR they can go terribly wrong. Like Target or K-Mart (remember them?!).
To be fair I have no idea when Carl's Jr. even opened up in it's nice location on Queen West towards Spadina. It just happened to be there when I was walking around in the area couple weeks ago. 
I ended up going twice this week and I don't regret it at all.

The first time I walked inside I was pretty amazed. It has such a beautiful layout. Normally I find fast food places a drag to eat at , which i get, youre going for a fast meal not a fancy dinner. However Carl's Jr. looks like a place I could actually chill and eat my meal comfortably. Which is what I did on the 2nd time but more about that later.


Carl's Jr. has a pub feel to it. A pub with a bar filled with ice cream and milkshakes instead of alcohol. Totally acceptable substitute.

The first time I went was for their Toonie Tuesday Milkshake special. To my honest surprise it was actually $2.05 which is amazing. I haven't had a Real toonie Tuesday where I actually paid a toonie and change in a long time. So you go to the front cashier pay your $2.05 then head on over to the milkshake bar is actually proper. I enjoy that the desserts are sbarrate from the grease.
I ended up getting a Oreo Milkshake but other flavours that are apart of this deal are:
  • Vanilla
  • Chocolate
  • Strawberry
Your typical classic Napoleon flavours but again for $2 I find it hard to complain about a lack of variety. 
The barista (for lack of a better milkshake maker term) scoops in a crap ton of Oreo into the cup with ice cream and milk. Blends it to perfection then tops it with whip cream.
This is what it looks like.


It was love at first sip. The broke ass in me was thrilled but as soon as that first sip hit my tongue. It was love. The thickness wasn't overly thick or it wasnt hard to drink. It flowed nice and slowly. Tasted like Oreo without the crumbs. To think of it they were still there however its not as evident as it is the Oreo Iced Cap. If I had to reduce it all to one word I'd say smooth. So smooth that you forget that there's whip cream until it hits your straw and you start tasting whip cream. The whipped cream even after sitting on top of the milkshake still reminded thick and easy to drink as well. But one can only take so much whipped cream, you know.

Overall
I was pretty impressed with the Carl Jr's milkshakes. Creamy, smooth and has the type of flavour that makes you savour every last drop of it.
My friend Amelia made up a good point though, "I don't know if I'd buy this at full price."

To be honest I don't know if I would either. Wait. How much was it full priced? Oh wow, I didn't even check. . I'll get back to you on that.
9/10 on a Tuesday. 8.5/10 other days.
.....
Can you tell that I pull these ratings out of my ass? No? Okay. Good.
Stay tuned for part 2 when I actually review an entrée item.
Ian
p.s. to the Google+ users - Thank you for +1-ing these blogs. I truly, truly appreciate it.
to everyone else - step your sharing game up.
Please and thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment