Saturday 8 August 2015

Greek Fest

WE'VE MOVED TO WORDPRESS
All of the posts are now on going to be on WORDPRESS! This blog will be deleted in a couple of weeks be sure to follow the new Broke and Picky! - brokeandpicky.wordpress.com

First of all, lets take a moment to remember rapper Meek Mill.

Last week he got bodied by a singing dude...



Yeah lets not get into it.

Toronto, the city of festivals.

This weekend Toronto hosts two cultural festivals:

Jerk Fest & The Taste of Danforth

I wrote a post about how out of touch I am from my Trini roots last week so you can only guess which festival I went.



I'm blessed to be already familiar with the Danforth area since I attended Centennial College's Story Arts Centre to do my post grad. Oddly enough, a lot of the restaurants I usually do go to were on Pape Ave. just off of the Danforth. A restaurant named Burger World stole my heart so a lot of the time I went there for lunch or dinner during the year.



This is my 2nd year returning to Taste on the Danforth and again I had a blast. The abundance of food made it difficult to chose from, the music through the difference sections were alright and of course the women were beautiful. The vibes were on point and surprisingly I just let myself wonder, usually I plan where I want to go and what I want to try. At that moment I just wanted to act like a tourist and wander in awe.



So lets retrace from when I got off of Broadview station, I thought I was being smart and telling myself "I'll get off at Broadview and that way I won't have to deal with the ass load of people getting off the train at Pape." Stupid me didn't really the Fest started at Broadview. Oh well. After slowly walking up the stairs uncomfortably close to an old man's ass crack. I walk out the doors and the sound is already booming. I walk onto Broadview and the first stand I see, of course, is free info about Jesus Christ. No thanks, that's what I have my Grandmother for. Next. Free Iced Tea from Nestea? Dope. It was like a blueberry green tea flavour you might of seen it before.

I continue walking down the Danforth moving my way through drones of people either A. in bunches of groups looking at each other and not in front or B. staring down at their phone walking aimlessly (I was guilty of this sometimes) or both. There's booth after booth of food, shops, dessert, you name it. I finally end up at the TD just past Chester St. to take out some cash. After that I decide lets get into the food.

I got kind of pissed about this but it's completely understandable. The biggest lines I encountered were for free stuff and famous Greek Cuisine restaurant Messini Authentic Gyros. Messini is famous for their crispy fries with their gyros that come in the choice of lamb, chicken or pork. I've had one before during the semester and they are SO flippin good. Deep down, I wish I just lined up, I wasn't going anywhere but alas stubborn me settled for the place beside them.

Place where I got the Gyro instead of Messini
I ended up getting the Pork Gyro and I got it in 5 seconds of paying for it. It was pre made :( *sigh*
They even tapped it after wrapping it. Jesus Christ. Unwrapping it the fries were soaked because of the tzatziki(did I spell that right?).



I didn't even recognize that there were even fries until I looked up-close. Biting into it, the fries were soft. Microwave soft. I'll give them credit the lukewarm pork and tzatziki sauce were alright but it's whatever. I won't even rate it, just wait for Messini, get it fresh. Mind you, I'm sure if it weren't a festival and you went to the restaurant beside Messini and ordered it would be made fresh and would be delicious. Jeez, why does everything with the word Messi in it have to be amazing?

I continued to stick around and take in the festival, poking around shops like the Used CD storeand then an Used book store - where I found House of Leaves for $9 bucks! Thank you Re: Reading.



I started looking for a booth where I could get some dessert but I stuck to one of my true favourites.

Caffe Demetre

The birthday, anniversary, first, 2nd, or 3rd after movie date dessert restaurant.

Usually Demetres has complex dessert options, so complex that customers are banned from taking pics of the menu. The Festival Demetres kept it simple. A single scoop of ice cream (Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry or White Chocolate Silk) inside a waffle cone...that wasn't really a waffle cone since they put it in a cup. They were also selling floats.



I ended up going for the white chocolate silk since it was different from the usual flavours that everyone has grown to know and love. The white chocolate has a tint that resembles French Vanilla. After finding a place to sit down I dig in and my God. The ice cream is beautifully thick, so thick that when you dig the spoon in and raise it up the ice cream tears apart like if it were gum or something similar. So thick that when you finally have it dancing off your tongue it slowly melts unlike many soft serve ice cream I've been used to having the past couple of months.


The waffle around it is brittle. It cracked way too easily. So brittle I just broke it apart and threw it in the ice cream and enjoy the crunchy element the "cone" added to the ice cream. I haven't been to Demetre's in a couple of years but despite it's simplicity it was a convincing argument to go back. 8/10

I spent $5 for the gyro
$3.50 for the ice cream.

Broke & Picky Approved


Annie, if you're reading this. Please Please let me review your cupcakes!!!

IVS

if you enjoyed reading this follow me on instagram or twitter - @darkm4gician

No comments:

Post a Comment