Wednesday 13 May 2015

McDonalds' Red Velvet Oreo McFlurry

WE'VE MOVED TO WORDPRESS
All of the posts are now on going to be on WORDPRESS! This blog will be deleted in a couple of weeks be sure to follow the new Broke and Picky! - brokeandpicky.wordpress.com

It's been a pretty great week and with every good week comes a good opportunity to review another product. I'm so sorry, it's my 2nd review and it's another Oreo product. I last reviewed the Oreo Iced Cap from Tims, check it out if you haven't. I swear I don't have an addiction.

Anyway lets get into it.

The McFlurry is now 20! I remember when it first came out and I begged my mom to get me one, which she did a regular ...Oreo.  I respect the McFlurry, I've always have. The fact that this little ice cream mix could compete against the blizzard (with it's onslaught of flavours) with only 2..well now 3 flavours (Oreo, Smarties & now Rolo) is amazing. For the past 20 years people have been consuming straight up just Oreo & Smarties McFlurries every now and then McDonalds would drop a flavour out of no where and make the streets go wild. These flavours included Coffee Crisp, Creme Egg, Kit Kat(my personal favourite that they never brought back :( ) Personally i've always enjoyed the McFlurry a lot, the ice cream itself is thick, the flavours would always do so well especially when they drop new flavours.

Now onto the actual McFlurry, I go to McDicks and wait in line unsure that the McDicks I even went to carried the new Red Velvet Oreo. Thankfully while I was waiting in line the video menu board showed an ad for it. So when it was my turn to purchase and  I made my order price comes up to $3.14 total for a regular.

What the fuck?

I apologize but this thing looks like someone blended a hamster with ice-cream. It really looks unappealing and I'm being completely honest. It looks unappealing, definitely the worst looking McFlurry to ever been seen which it weird since they are following up the decent looking Creme Egg one.
Even not looking in it looks odd.
The Red Velvet Oreo McFlurry consist of:
  • McDonalds infamous Ice Cream in all it's creamy glory
  • Oreo pieces (not red velvet Oreos surprisingly and unfortunately)
  • Red Velvet sauce
When I first heard about the Red Velvet McFlurry my original concept of it was that it would be the actual Red Velvet Oreos with a Cream cheese type of sauce that they would add in. Not this bloodbath that I have pictured below.
Seriously?
 Now lets get down to the actual taste. A couple days ago my friend and I were talking about Red Velvet as a flavour and she makes up the point that, she "couldn't tell the difference between red velvet and chocolate." I imagine this is the consensus with a lot of people that there isn't truly a difference between the two. With this McFlurry I can honestly say there is a slight difference but I can't tell you exactly what it is. After thinking about it I can make the educated guess that the chocolate sauce that McD's has a sweeter taste than the red velvet. However I think I prefer the red velvet, I loved how I got to taste more of the Oreo Chocolate cookie rather than the just the sauce itself. The Oreos itself were crunchy - an underrated aspect about Oreos that I found out I loved in my last review . Overall it was a decent McFlurry. Until I got about 3/4 through it...

No sauce, no oreo..






3/4 through this thing and I just hit vanilla. I'm not even kidding you. Sauce gone, Oreos gone, looked like someone tried to clean a murder scene. Now I'll forgive it if its just crappy McFlurry making, I've certainly had others where it's been nicely mixed.

Final Verdict

7.5/10

Looks like someone would kill to try this McFlurry.

Positives
  • Red Velvet sauce makes a nice addition to the Oreos and the Ice cream. it's not overly sweet and the oreo chunks makes it a delightful limited time flavor.
  • The McFlurry lasted 20 years. The Red Velvet Oreo McFlurry shows that more creative flavours are on its way.
Negatives
  • The Mcflurry looks like someone blended a hamster
  • Not enough oreo? What was up with that?
Once again thank you for reading broke & p1cky and if you enjoyed this don't forget to share with friends!

What was your favourite McFlurry flavour? let us know in the comments and if you have suggestsions let me know or Shayne know what we should review.

-IVS



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the hilarious review. Both my friend and I got this and experienced the exact same thing with it being just vanilla at the bottom!

    The blended hamster joke got us cracking up :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I got a smartie mcflurry around a week ago and I still experienced the same thing. Flavour up top, vanilla at the bottom. Im starting to think the mixer thing doesn't property mix it.

      Thanks for reading the review BTW! I appreciate it.

      Delete