Friday 19 June 2015

"You live in the hood" - No.. I don't. - Weston Road feature.

WE'VE MOVED TO WORDPRESS
All of the posts are now on going to be on WORDPRESS! This blog will be deleted in a couple of weeks be sure to follow the new Broke and Picky! - brokeandpicky.wordpress.com

This is NOT a review. More like an introduction to a special or feature i'll be working on. Feel free to skip this if you were hoping to read a review.



I was walking home from Shoppers Drug Mart and I got to the corner of Lawrence West and Weston Road when a cop was just standing there.

"How are you today sir?" he asked me kindly in a non-carding sort of way.
"I'm great." I paused slightly. I was talking to an officer and the whole situation slightly confused me but I went on,
"What about you?"
"I'm great as well, thanks for asking." The crossing light turned on by this point and as I started to walk he joined me.

"So the reason I'm here is because we're just doing checks on the neighborhood." the friendly officer says as we get to the other side of the street.

He begins to tell me stories about how the area was.
1 cop got shot in the face just a little bit further past where my building is
2 guys died from getting shot from street dancing - at a bar near my place that's exactly what he said.

Old stories aside I felt odd because the next words that came out of my mouth were,



"I actually feel safe here."

I love Weston Road. It has its oddballs, and a weird mix of Somalians and Gypsys but at the end of the day Weston Road wasn't really like how it was back in the day. I'd argue now that every area whether it be Toronto, Brampton, Whitby, all the way to North Bay has it's set of weird but  somewhat lovable fucks. 

It's just a bunch of people who are just trying to survive the screwface city. I'll always believe that. It's the reason why i'll always have such a deep seeded respect for the Weston area.

Fun Fact: i've had friends who come over from Brampton, Vaughan and different parts of Toronto and tell me things like 

"This area is pretty underrated." 

to 

"It's areas like these that make me feel privileged that I live in my area." 

Right? but like I said I love Weston. 

There's a reason why I love it more than anything though... THE FOOD. 

COME ON this is a food blog of COURSE this was going to lead back to food in some sort of way. 

It just so happens Weston Road has fantastic places to go eat.

So over the next couple of days/weeks or so I'll be reviewing 3 different places..


All Weston

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to show you my "hood" 

IVS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment