Thursday 11 June 2015

KFC Fill ups - meh.

WE'VE MOVED TO WORDPRESS
All of the posts are now on going to be on WORDPRESS! This blog will be deleted in a couple of weeks be sure to follow the new Broke and Picky! - brokeandpicky.wordpress.com

So after reviewing nothing but dessert options it's finally time to get down to the meal reviews. Meals that we promised you to be under 10$ (15$ if necessary) Trust me somewhere out there, there are great meals under $10 where you actually either get a lot or a decent amount of food.

Now let's go to our meal of the day. KFC's $5 fill ups.

KFC is perhaps the most random fast food restaurant I may have ever come across. Think about it.. who else would be that crazy to deep fry two chicken filets then in the middle of the two insert bacon, cheese and what seems to be thousand island sauce and name it the Double Down. Another example is their mock of the Big Mac just replacing the beef with chicken. Oh let's not forget that epic Double Down hot dog. Jesus Christ.

Before I start this review I'm going to say it's been a while since I've been to KFC because ever since Popeyes came in my life my family converted to those Louisiana spices. Sorry Colonel.

Let's begin!



The 5$ fill up, 5.99$ in some places like Yorkdale or Eaton centre has different versions of it. The only difference between the 4 is the main portion of it. Options include: 1 pc Rib, 1 drumstick 1 thigh, popcorn chicken and the chicken bowl.

The rest of the fill ups remain the same:

  • Fries or mash potatoes
  • Buttery bread
  • Chocolate chip cookie
  • Medium Drink

For the sake of the review I ended up going with the popcorn chicken box.

Where do I even start? The meal comes in KFC's traditional box that ditches the old school red and white for a "fresh" design. Touting the fact that it's quality chicken, made with REAL ingredients. You notice that all these fast food places are now saying their food is made with real ingredients? Makes me wonder what the hell we were eating in the 90s.

The food itself if we're talking looks just looks absolutely lifeless.

It looked drained. Unappealing and just straight up boring.

I started off with the fries which in itself weren't that great. They weren't hot, more like lukewarm. Nothing about it screamed freshly made. Lacked salt (blessing in disguise maybe?). Through taste it was just telling me "bruh I was just chillin in the warmer."

Moving onto the actual popcorn chicken. I've already started to feel the first stages of regret. I had to keep reminding myself that "it was only $5.85" Cheap or not this was inexcusable, KFC is known for chicken however the chicken tasted like garbage. The popcorn was a little warmer than the fries. Nothing about it stood out at all. It basically tasted like something that came out the oven, cooled down and then proceeded to be microwaved again. Not even dunking the entire popcorn in the honey mustard sauce could saved it's dryness. Which makes me think this whole box might of actually been chilling in a warmer.

Now it's the bread's turn. The bread isn't toasted. It's soft. Marshmallow soft. Chewy. Again barely hot. Buttered on both sides so it wouldn't dry out I'm guessing. Speaking of butter, would you believe me if I said that that was the best part about this excuse for bread. Yup, the butter. Is that a reason to go eat the crappy bread just for the butter? No. If you want to do that just go to your local supermarket, go to the dairy section, pick up a tub of butter, go home, grab a spoon and enjoy.

Oh yeah, there's a cookie. That's another odd trend that's hit fast food places, McDonald's, Wendy's, KFC all started carrying cookies around the same time. McDonalds and Wendy's kinda make sense since they have coffee and they combo it with that but for KFC it makes no sense. They don't really carry coffee. Maybe it's a dessert option? I guess it's a prize for finishing that odd meal and making you feel better for wasting that $5. Genius marketing really.

Anyway the cookie was soft. However it wasn't really moist like the way soft cookies are meant to be. The chocolate chips looked lighter than usual, possibly from suffocating in that red package. My Publishing Books professor bakes better than this. (they are actually great cookies SUP ERIN!)

Overall

I'm baffled. If you were in dire emergency and only had $6 I guess go for it. Remember this is just the popcorn chicken review, there are other options and if you do want to try it I suggest going to the "upper scale" KFCS like the Yorkdale and Eaton centre which I'm guessing and slightly stereotyping that it will be better.

In my honest option though I would rather this than going for a Tuesday Special. You actually get more bang for your buck.

Again that's if you ever need to go to KFC. Otherwise go elsewhere for your chicken needs.

5.5/10

Are you a KFC fanatic who thinks I'm wrong?

Got meal or dessert ideas for the next blog?

Want to wish me an early happy birthday?

Or general feedback?

Leave a comment below! Share brokeandp1cky with your friends!

Follow my instagram and twitter - darkm4gician


IVS

No comments:

Post a Comment